Who is Track Five?
The Track Five vocal group was established in 1995 and is the brainchild of director, arranger and composer Gavin Fullard, who also happens to be the group’s baritone singer. With an ability to produce jazz arrangements that are second to none, Gavin offers audiences fresh, complex and interesting arrangements that leave Track Five concert attendees sitting on the edge of their seats wanting more. Complimenting his musical talents, is award-winning vocalist (International Youth Music Festival, 2014 Slovakia) and soprano singer Madri Gerber who is also a qualified, competent and experienced violinist and pianist. Alto singers Michelle van Zyl and Karen de Goede add a further touch of creativity to the group through their practical vocal knowledge. Michelle works as a professional vocal coach at the Riana van Wyk School of Music, has featured as backing vocalist during the CD recordings of many South African artists, and has also trained well-known singers like Jimmy Nevis. Karen, our newest member, is an experienced opera singer, freelance artist, soloist and ensemble cast member in musical theatre productions and cabaret and has also ventured into cabaret and jazz. Rounding off the group is bass singer, vocal arranger and accomplished guitarist Arthur Pietersen who has brought 30 years of musical experience and knowledge to the ensemble. Arthur is not only the backbone of Track Five, but is also the Recording Engineer/Producer and Owner of Guitar Way Studios, where the latest Track Five album has been recorded.
Why hire Track Five?
They perform: • A Cappella • with pre-recorded backings • with live rhythm section and live flutes and • in collaboration with the popular saxophone quartet, Saxit! Track Five is ideal for your private or corporate function, concert or a fundraiser! The singers are also accomplished soloists.
Soprano Obtained her BMus performance degree in violin from the University of Cape Town where she was concert master of the symphony orchestra. She passed the grade 8 UNISA exams with distinction in both piano and singing and was invited to participate in the UNISA bursary competition where she won the Mimi Coertze prize for singing. She also obtained her ABRSM performance diploma in singing. During her studies she was awarded several Hennie Joubert and Nellie du Toit bursaries for piano, singing, and violin. In 2014 she received the award for best vocal soloist performance at the International Youth Music Festival in Bratislava, Slovakia. She started singing in the Tygerberg Children’s Choir at the age of 10 and carried on to sing in several other choirs such as the South African Youth Choir, Stellenberg Girls’ choir and Cape Town Youth Choir. She is currently a member of the Cape Soloist Choir and is concert master of the Traxtudio Film Symphony Orchestra. She is currently teaching music at Eversdal Primary School.
MICHELLE VAN ZYL
KAREN DE GOEDE
2nd Alto Obtained a B.Mus. degree from the University of Potchefstroom with voice and piano as instruments. As a student she performed lead roles in operatic productions as well as being a soloist in oratorios. She joined PACT Opera full time as a permanent member of the opera chorus, but after a number of years decided to expand her horizons as a freelance artist. During this time she performed as a soloist and ensemble cast member in musical theatre productions, ventured into cabaret and discovered the joy of jazz. She continues to study voice and maintain her skills by performing in private concerts.
- 31 March 2017 : Concert at Alliance Francaise, Cape Town with Ramon Alexander (piano), Leonore Bredenkamp (bass), Annemie Nel (drums), Engela Fullard (flute). Guest appearance Margot de Bruyn (alto).
- 22 June 2017 : A cosy winter evening with Track Five @Simondium, Paarl
- 3 September 2017 : Jazz at the Nassau, with Ramon Alexander (piano), Leonore Bredenkamp (bass), Annemie Nel (drums) and Mike Rossi’s saxophone quartet.
- 22 November 2016 – Morning Live, Expresso Show
- 23 November 2016 – Concert at Drostdy Theatre, Stellenbsoch
- 25 June 2016 – PASMAE Conference for Southern African Countries
- 29 – 30 April 2016 – Talent Africa, SA Finals
- 16 April 2016 – Track Five CD Launch @ Drostdy Theatre, Stellenbosch with the Ramon Alexander Trio and Saxit!
- 06 February 2016 – Private birthday function, with Watershed
- 20 December 2015 – Guest performers with A5 vocal group Christmas Concert
- 06 December 2015 – In concert with ERUB Children’s Choir
- 05 September 2015 – Talent Africa Competition, Regional Round (1st place)
- 14 February 2015 – Valentine’s Dinner at Pascal’s in Napier
- 19 April 2015 – Concert at the Endler Hall, University of Stellenbosch (with Saxit & US Big Band)
- 01 March 2015 – Concert at the Oude Libertas Amphitheatre, Stellenbosch (with Saxit)
- 21 November 2014 – Fundraiser at the Cape Town Society for the Blind (with Saxit)
Love You Madly (2016) Track Five singing A Cappella, with Ramon Alexander Trio, Saxit and special guests: A5 vocal group
I Remember You (2013) Track Five with various backings as well as A Cappella
A Cappella (2009) “….Track Five is one of the greatest jazz vocal groups I’ve heard in this country, definitely world-class” – Mike Campbell (Head: Jazz Studies, SA College of Music, University of Cape Town)